Friday, October 15, 2010

Nature Walk


Lily has been collecting acorns whenever we go over to a neighborhood in Blacksburg where they have trees that have acorns and I thought she might enjoy taking a walk around our neighborhood to see what autumn goodies she could find. We invited Abi to come along and Mrs. Edwards watched the boys while I took the girls out to explore for a little bit. We had a lot of fun!


Both girls found one of these tiny leaves and they were by far the find of the day. Lily took her tiny leaf to bed with her. Yes, I let my child go to bed with a leaf. It made her happy and it was still in her crib when we woke up!


We were talking about the color of the leaves that we found and Abi was showing Lily an orange leaf that she just picked up. Lily then wanted to find her own orange leaf...


And was successful!

We talked about the crunching sounds the leaves make as we walk on them and why they fall off the trees.

We then took our leaves home and turned them into collages using contact paper. Just as a side note...I love contact paper! It has so many uses and we use it a lot for crafts. The girls were interested in making their collages but were more interested in exploring the stickiness of the paper. Neither girl put their tiny leaf on the collage but decided to hold onto them.

They finished putting their leaves on the paper and then Lily jumped down from the table and ran over to the window and showed me where she wanted to hang her collage. It looks so pretty with the light shining through it! I am sure we will be doing a lot more exploring with leaves and contact paper this fall!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: