Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Race Day

About a year and a half ago my friend Dawn Marie and I started talking about running a 5K together. I was trying to find an activity I could do with Lily or at home in order to drop the rest of my baby weight. I was not excited about this endeavor as I really do not like running, but figured I would give it a try. I started following the Couch to a 5K running program and was always amazed that I could run as much as the program suggested. So I was running 2 and 3/4 miles when I got pregnant with Simon. I had to stop running because I started spotting and my goal was put on hold.
So after Simon was born it was time to start training again, and again I was not excited. I don't know what it is about running, but man it's just not fun. So I found some loud, upbeat music with the help of Jason to drawn out the sound of me gasping for air and I was back running again. It was hard to keep a decent schedule of running and I would literally go weeks without running, but I could feel myself getting stronger each time I went and my determination increased with each run. I started running on the Huckleberry trail instead of on a track and it made the runs much more pleasant. It added some hills, which were not so pleasant, but the trees, the bridges, the water the scenery helped pass the time a lot better.
As race day approached I was nervous I was not going to be able to run the whole thing. I have never been able to run and can remember in Jr. High and High school always being the last one to finish the mile during the physical fitness tests...walking. I dreaded mile running day. I could run bases for softball, but anything further than that was a struggle. So I was not in the best place possible, mentally for the race. I wanted to be confident in myself and my abilities, but I wasn't.
I was comforted knowing that Dawn Marie said we would stick together regardless. If I wanted to walk we would walk, if she wanted to walk we would walk, but we had to run, no sprint, across the finish line. So I was nervous, but excited.

Race day arrived and it was freezing! Literally, it was 31 degrees an hour and a half before the race and there was frost on the ground. It was better than being hot though. I definitely do not run as well in the heat. Two more friends joined us for the race and we were ready to go. First I had to empty my bladder, twice, before the race actually began. The second bathroom stop was pretty close to race time as I was washing my hands Dawn Marie was yelling that they were about to start.


So we get some instructions and the gun is fired for the start of the race and we are off and I am feeling pretty good except for the fact my coat was annoying me and hitting my face. I eventually took it off and just threw it on the grass somewhere and decided to go back for it later. Dawn Marie did most of the talking as I was struggling to keep the pace. She and I eventually slowed down and fell behind our other two friends a little bit. I wish I could say I ran the whole thing, but I did stop and walk, faster than I thought I was going because I could still keep up with Dawn Marie who was jogging, but my mind was getting the best of me. Physically I didn't need to stop, but I couldn't get my head in the race fully. Dawn Marie was so awesome and encouraging and I am glad she stuck with me even though I told her a couple of times to go on without me.
As we approached the finish line I could feel myself getting emotional. I was actually about to finish this race and I had run the majority of it, minus 30 seconds, and 2 or 3 times of stopping and starting one step later, but I was about to complete a run of 3.1 miles. I mentioned to Dawn Marie I was about to get emotional on her and she reminded me that we were about to start sprinting to the end and my tears were put on hold.


So this is us sprinting towards the finish line and I realize I have a smile on my face, but I am only smiling because when the girl on the right realized we were sprinting she looked back and started to sprint as well and she and I shared a little chuckle. Then I grunted as I tried to push my body a little harder. Now, I am not a runner really, but I am pretty sure my feet should not be that high off the ground. I look like I am leaping instead of running. Just an observation and something I plan to work on for the next race. Yes, I am going to run another one!


We don't have an exact time, but we finished around 32:33 0r 34. Which turns out to be a 10:30 mile, which is the fastest pace I have ever run. My time is not earth shattering or record breaking, but for me it represents a lot of hard work and a long time goal finally reached. I am now determined to beat that time. It may not be beat during my next race in less than 2 weeks as that course is very different and contains hills, but I plan to run this same race next year and hope to see a drastic improvement in my time.

I had a lot of support and encouragement along the way. I could not have done this without Jason who willingly came to the track and trail with me and pushed Simon and ran around with Lily as I ran. I would have been very thirsty without Lily, my water girl, who would run towards me with a huge smile on her face with my water bottle in her mouth. She was inspiration to keep going every time I saw her running as well. My parents would ask me every time I talked to them how the running was going and I appreciated their interest and I hated the days I had to tell them I hadn't been running in a while so it was motivation to get out there so I could tell them differently next time we spoke. I was so grateful they were able to be here for the race. My mom videoed us running to the finish line and although I didn't hear here cheering me on at the race it is awesome to know I had a cheering section.
I would not have done this race without my running buddy, Dawn Marie and her encouragement from beginning of training to the finish line. She would write in her e-mails to me, "Run, Kate, Run" even if the e-mail had nothing to do with running. She pushed me and challenged me to do more. She knew I could and just had to work to get it out of me. She has been a great friend and support to me and I look forward to running more races with her in the future. Can we run further? A 10K maybe? Right now I think we will stick with 5K's, I can't imagine finding the time to run for more than 30 minutes, but maybe one day.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Ashley Heffron said...

Wow! I am sooo proud of you! I started running before I got pregnant with Landon and can't run yet bc it could reduce my already low milk production! I wish I had you close by to run with though. Running with someone is always a great motivator! DOn't worry, you aren't the only one who doesn't like to run!