Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Mill Mountain Zoo

This was the perfect little zoo for Lily and Simon. It was small enough they could walk the whole thing and the entire zoo is pretty much in the shade so it wasn't uncomfortably hot while we were checking out the animals. The Prairie dogs were a definite favorite. Just yesterday Lily was eating some oyster crackers and started to eat one like the Prairie dogs were eating and said, "Eat like Prairie dog!" She then started to laugh at her silliness.


Simon was not a fan of the tiger.

Checking out the Iguana.


Bird Watching.

Lily was nervous about this train ride. She thought it was going to go fast and it was the slowest train out there. I might have been able to run faster than it. As soon as she realized how slow it went she relaxed and enjoyed the ride around the zoo.

There's a neat exploration building before entering the zoo that we visited before we left and it had a lot of great hands on opportunities for the kids. The neatest thing in there was a working beehive. I am not a fan of bees as I accidentally jumped into a yellow jackets nest when I was in high school and have been traumatized ever since, but the hive was really neat to watch. Lily made her own birds next and examined some things under the microscope.
This was a great way to spend the 4th of July! We will definitely be visiting the zoo again in the future.

No comments: