Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easter Weekend

On Saturday we went to an Easter egg hunt in the morning that a few people in our neighborhood organized. It was in the backyard of three of our neighbors. Unfortunately we were just late enough that we missed the hunt part. We arrived as everyone had just gotten set up for a group picture. I don't think Lily really cared, she preferred sleeping a little longer during her morning nap. So we made it just in time for the pictures and then Liz made an announcement that "Little Lily needs some eggs!" and a few parents brought their children over to share with her. We then hung out for a little while with everyone and headed home for lunch.
Sunday morning we woke up and Lily got to open a few eggs we had filled with puffs, which she thoroughly enjoyed as you can see from the picture. She also had a bag from Gram and Granda to open and she loved the card they gave her. She stared at her name on the envelope for a while and shook the card around. I am especially excited about the cute outfit that was in her bag!

Then we went to service and experienced a cantata called The Risen Christ which was amazing! It was very moving and I started to cry way too early in the production. We had a few hours after service before our company came over for dinner. We had two other families in our neighborhood over who also do not have family in the area. This is the biggest number of people I have cooked for and I was amazingly stress free and calm about it. Those feelings definitely came from a divine power because I am not naturally calm and stress free when entertaining.
There was some confusion in my head about the weight of the turkey I should buy. My mom recommended 1/2 lb per person and that's what I kept telling myself. Somehow my brain did not understand that and I bought an almost 15 lb turkey for 7 adults and 4 children. I don't know. We have plenty of leftovers and I have already made turkey pot pie, one to eat and one to freeze. Plus, Lily has been having turkey almost everyday, she's not complaining yet.

We cooked the turkey in a brown paper bag. Jason and I heard about this on the Kidd Kraddick show one year coming home from Thanksgiving. We ended up taking the turkey out of the brown paper bag after 3 hours because we could not tell where we were sticking the thermometer to test for doneness. The turkey was really good, so next time you cook a turkey try this recipe. All in all it was a great weekend.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: