Yes, I realize this post is two weeks late, but my parents were visiting for a week and then we were gone for a week. I am just now getting a chance to post things. So stay tuned because there will be a lot over the next couple of days.
My dad is one of those unique men that you really don't hear about too often these days. He is a family man in the truest sense of the word. He would do absolutely anything for his family. He is a provider, a supporter and a protector. My junior year of high school I was taking physics and struggling with grasping the concepts. My dad would stay up until all hours of the night trying to help me understand my three homework problems. He would never simply give me the answer, even though I probably begged him to and got angry when he wouldn't, but he would show great patience and work with me until I was able to figure it out, which apparently never happened since I got F's and D's, but you know that's a whole other story.
He always gave me what I needed to figure things out for myself and then allowed me the space to think and make decisions on my own. He is willing to offer advice, but truly understands the need for people to be independent and make choices for themselves.
One of the greatest memories I have of my dad is from the day he and my mom dropped me off for college. We had spent the day driving to Marist, unpacking the cars, setting up my room, going to the book store to buy books and when the time had come for my parents to leave I simply stood in my new dorm room looking at my parents in the doorway. I was scared and nervous, as I am sure most kids are as they are being left to fend for themselves for the first time, but my mom was the first to exit the door and my dad sort of hung back for a few extra seconds and winked at me with a gentle smile on his face. That wink said so many things to me. It said, I love you and you're going to be okay. It said I am always here for you. It was a simple gesture that provided so much comfort. The wink has offered comfort throughout the years, but that was the day I truly realized what it meant to me.
I love and respect my dad and am greatful God blessed me with an amazing father to have as a role model for finding a man of my own. Thank you dad for loving me and winking.

No comments:
Post a Comment