Thursday, June 18, 2009

Our Little Bookworm



Lily absolutely loves books. She enjoys looking at them, turning the pages and pointing to the pictures, but her all time favorite thing to do with books is pull them off the shelf. I don't understand the enjoyment that comes from it, but if she sees I have put the books back up on the shelf she has to go over and pull them down. Then she plops herself down and picks one to go through. She is so intentional with her movements now, it is so fun to watch. She takes her pointer finger and goes to the right side of the book and feels if there are pages to turn and then grips one with her finger and uses the rest of her hand to assist in the process. It has been such a fun progression to watch evolve.


She still also enjoys putting books in her mouth, which we are trying very hard to break her of that habit, but it has been our first lesson in gving her the privilege to do something and now trying to take it away. She is smart enough and knows she is doing something wrong, but still chooses to do it. There was one day I went downstairs to change the laundry and I left her upstairs looking at books. I came back up the stairs and just stood and watched her for a few moments while she looked through one of the books in front of her. She turned and saw me watching her and immediately picked the book up and put it in her mouth with a huge smile on her face. It was rather cute, but so devious at the same time.



We are very glad Lily enjoys "reading". We are hoping it is a past-time she continues to enjoy throughout adulthood. She still has a whole tupperware container full of books that I have been collecting over the years. We have lots to read together!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: