Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sorting


Lily is obsessed with her hair clips. She wants to play with them all the time and so I thought it would be fun to use them for a little game that has some educational value to it as well. She is starting to say her colors, she can say pink and blue and can most times recognize colors when asked to point them out. We haven't tried sorting before so I figured this would be a great opportunity to work on colors and the concept of sorting. She picked the idea up very quickly and after she put the last clip in the bowl she would get excited and say, "more!" I changed the two colors she was sorting and she still requested more so I made it a little more challenging by adding a third color.


She continued to have fun with it and even changed the method she used to put the clips in the bowls along the way.



At first she was picking one clip up at a time and putting it in the appropriate bowl. Then she started to grab a handful of clips and pick one out of her hand and then figure out where it went. Eventually she started to sort through the pile first by picking up all of one color or picking through all of one color and putting them in the correct bowl and then focusing on a different color. So neat to watch her logic grow as she engages with an activity.



She did make mistakes, but she always spotted them herself and would remove the wrong color and then place it in the correct bowl.

I gave her four colors to try and by that time she was just done. She didn't even really attempt it but picked up a handful of clips and put them all in the same bowl. It was a fun activity that I think we will be repeating with other objects we can find around the house that Lily is interested in.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: