Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Representation


Lily found this bug under Abi's trampoline the other day and the two of them were SO excited. They followed this bug around for a good 20 minutes and learned a lot about the bug during that time. They learned that you can touch the bug gently and nothing will happen. If you accidentally push the bug a little harder than gentle than it starts to move much faster! Lastly they saw that if you scare the bug it rolls itself into a ball and then unrolls itself when it feels safe again and begins to walk around again as if nothing had happened. After the scaring the bug incident we decided to put the bug back in the grass.


They waited patiently until the bug walked onto the shovel and then they carefully carried it over to the grass.


They dumped the bug into the grass.


And then Lily tried to find it again. She was very sad we had to say goodbye to the bug, but I gave her the opportunity to represent the bug after her nap with some markers. I was going to use paint but then I discovered I only have finger paint so I am going to have to buy some paint! So we used markers instead.
This was the first time I set something like this up for Lily to do. She has been doing some representation on her own as she draws some lines on her magnadoodle and says "a." So I know she is ready for some representation and it was neat to watch her draw the bug. She was really excited about it and I am hoping today to give her the opportunity to make the bug out of some play dough.
As she was drawing Abi came out of her house and Lily was just instantly filled with excitement and distracted from what she was doing, but she was pointing to the picture she was drawing and wanted Abi to come and draw as well. She did draw a little more but then they discovered another bug...

We did not learn so much about this bug, but the girls just love bugs these days. I am thinking I may take Lily to the library to get some books on bugs to help further her interest in them!


Posted by Picasa

No comments: