Monday, November 29, 2010

Hungry Boy

I think my dad put it best last time he was here for a visit when he said something along the lines of, "I am worried you are not going to be able to afford to feed this boy when he gets older." That being said...Simon Loves to eat and the boy can eat a lot more food than I would have expected.

Today he tried a bagel for the first time. For Lily it was a perfect food for me to give her while I needed to cook dinner or get something in the kitchen done because she would just gum it to death and it occupied her for quite a long time. Simon on the other hand had different intentions with his bagel. He knew just what to do with it as he immediately put it in his mouth.


But then he got a little too excited and attempted to shove the entire bagel into his mouth, breaking it into pieces.


He kept a good hold on the piece of bagel dangling from his mouth and then promptly pushed the entire piece into his mouth. Silly child. I then promptly removed it and he was definitely not happy with me.


He screamed, a lot, and loudly and then tried to shove the other piece that was in his hand into his mouth while screaming. I couldn't help but laugh. I mean bagels are good, but not worth choking on.
So I could call this a failed attempt, but it only failed in meeting my expectations. Simon loved the bagel, but I had to sit there and break off little pieces and give them to him one at a time for fear he would just grab a handful and put them all in his mouth. It was a success in the fact we have another food he will eat, but the bagel will not prove as helpful as it did with Lily.

On another note...It has been so fun to watch Lily become more interested in Simon. She asks to play with him a lot these days and wants him sitting where she is going to play. If we are all playing together and I pick Simon up to change his diaper or something Lily immediately says, "Sighbee, sit, play toys." And when she finishes dinner and is allowed to get down from the table she ask for Simon to come and play with her. It just melts my heart to hear her ask to play with him. They are going to be good buddies!!!
While I was nursing Simon today Lily climbed up on the couch with a cup of pretzels and leaned against me right where Simon was nursing. Of course Simon lost all interest in eating and gave his big sister the biggest gummy grin. He stared at her and stared at her just watching her every move. Lily, starting to be the mothering type, looked at Simon and said, "Sighbee eat. Mommy's milk." She never looked at me and she resumed eating her pretzels and starts to put one in Simon's mouth. Although I was trying not to get involved so I could simply enjoy watching the positive interaction I had to stop her. Then she started pointing at Simon's face and naming his nose, mouth and eyes. She looks for a little while at his eyes and then she starts to remove some sleep from the corner of his eye. I chuckled softly as I thought about how that's completely something I would do and he just laid there and let her take care of him. It brings tears to my eyes. I can't wait to watch these two grow up together, but at the same time I want to freeze time and enjoy this stage a little longer. I just need to remind myself to cherish every moment.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sounds like my boys ... they LOVE to eat as babies. Grady has become picky as he has gotten older :(