Sunday, December 19, 2010

Blankie

We all caught colds here in the Meyer household last weekend and on Tuesday I felt well enough to do laundry to clean all the sheets and get rid of the germs in the house. I needed to wash Lily's blankie, which happens fairly regularly, and she is always excited to give blankie a bath. She throws it into the washer and as soon as the washer locks she has a meltdown. It must be a horrible sound for her. I can only imagine she is thinking blankie is getting locked away forever.
This particular day she was struggling with calming herself down and I was struggling to come up with other distractions for her. So I went on a search for my old blankie. First, a little backstory about my blankie...
I have pictures of me as an infant lying on this blankie looking at a goldfish swimming in a bowl. I sucked my thumb and held this blankie much like the picture below of my daughter doing the same thing. I loved this blankie. I slept with it and took great care of it. My blankie "disappeared" on me sometime after we moved to New Jersey. I had my blankie for a Long time! I was 8 when we moved to NJ. Needless to say I was devastated when it was lost. I got over it eventually and moved on with my life. One day I was looking for an afghan in my mom's hope chest and low and behold I found my "lost" blankie. That blankie did not leave my bed after that. My older brother told me I could not bring it to college and I proved him wrong. Not only did I bring it to college I kept it on my bed and slept with it. Yes, I have been to counseling so no need to worry about me now. After Jason and I got married I decided I needed to put it away and not allow the blankie in our bed. I put it in a bench in our room that holds afghans!
So, before Lily was born my mom asked me if I was going to give my child my blanket. I gently laughed and said, "No! It's my blanket. He or she will have their own." Oh, if only I had known what happens when you have a child and you would literally give them anything. I would give this girl my heart if she needed it. So back to the other day...

I explained to Lily about how I had a blankie of my own and she could use it while she waited for hers to finish being cleaned. She was excited and grabbed it just long enough for this picture to be taken and then she was done with it. She was off and playing. I was organizing some toys and I hear Lily's sweet voice say, "Mama." I turn around and see her hugging my blankie.


Then she breaks my heart and says, "Mama, love blankie."
Me: "You love Mama's blankie?" (Trying not to cry. She has never said she loved anything before. Actually, we had never heard her use that word before without prompting.)
Lily: "Yes! Mama share blankie. Sank ooo Mama share blankie."
Me: "You're welcome baby girl."
I wanted to continue and tell her she could keep it forever and ever and that it can now be hers, but I was treasuring the moment of watching her cuddle with my blankie.


She continued to use my blankie until hers was ready and now she likes to use it as a blanket for the parties she sets up and also enjoys carrying it around or bringing it to me when she thinks I need it. I love this girl and she can keep my blankie and maybe pass it on to her daughter one day.

In other news...Simon rolled over for the first time on December 14th! Yay Simon! He doesn't do it on a regular basis yet, but we find him on his back when we go to get him from naps and in the mornings a lot of the time now. He also thinks he can walk already. Crazy kid. He can cruise along our coffee table and will just let go and try to go where he wants to go and quickly falls into our arms as we try to catch him. We may have another non-crawler on our hands. One of my friends said the odds of us having 2 kids who walked before they crawled was slim, but Simon is on the verge of proving her wrong!


No comments: