A little over six years ago Jason and I drove to a quaint home in Opelousas, LA and picked up a tiny, adorable, button nosed puppy and named him Gizmo even before he was officially ours.
Today we gave an adorable dog to a new loving family.

This has been one of the tougher decisions we have had to make and it's one we didn't make rashly, but over the course of 3 years and changing priorities we decided it was time to give Gizmo a better life. He deserves a family who will love him instead of tolerate him. I know it's the right decision, but it was a hard one to make. I just keep thinking about a good friend who shared some wise advice from her mother who said, "Being a good parent sometimes means doing the harder thing." For all intents and purposes Jason and I have been Gizmo's parents, not always good parents, but I think this may be the best thing we have done for him in a long time.
Somewhere along the way I began believing that doing the right thing was easy, but in thinking about life that is simply not the case. Making a sincere apology is not always easy, but it's the right thing to do. Telling the truth is not always easy, but it's the right thing to do. There are many other examples that have helped me to realize that although this is hard and it hurts my heart, it is the right decision.
Gizmo definitely changed our lives. He was the cause of our first "real argument." He made me question whether or not Jason and I could raise children together since we struggled raising a dog together. He brought us through our first crisis when he got attacked. He allowed us the opportunity to meet some interesting people in our apartment complex down in LA. He brought many smiles and laughs into our lives. He was a source of entertainment and was always, always excited when we came in the house even if only gone 5 minutes. He was loyal and protective. He was a good dog and part of me will miss him and his presence in our lives.
He is going to a wonderful family though. He is a surprise for 3 girls who are 14, 13 and 10. What a great way to start your summer break than with a new dog?!?! Their mom is extremely excited and their dad is glad to finally have some other testosterone in the house. His wife expressed he is excited to bring Gizmo into the "Man Den." I am confident Gizmo will be pampered and well loved. I am also pretty sure he will get to experience having bows in his fur! I don't know if Gizmo will remember us, but we will definitely remember him. There are little reminders of him all throughout the house...an empty corner where his bed used to be, an empty space on the book shelf where his toy box once was, an innocent 3 year-old who doesn't fully understand and continues to say, "Ahh man Gizzy," when she drops a piece of food on the floor. This wound will be reopened many times over the next few months until we all adjust to life without Gizmo. It was with heavy hearts and tear streaked cheeks that we said goodbye this morning, but we had fun taking pictures together last night.
And so we never forget that we once loved him, took pictures and videos of him, here is a brief video Jason put together a few years ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment