Monday, February 6, 2012

Light Table - er - Drawer

Having worked in early childhood for years there are certain items I long to have and a light table is one of them. They are ridiculously expensive though and so I told Jason it was our task to make one on the cheap...and we definitely succeeded! We only paid for the light (less that $11) and used all other items we already had in the house. We currently need a new drawer to hold office supplies, but I have a light drawer to use with the kids and we are all loving it!

First up...x-rays. We have x-rays from when Jason and I first went to the chiropractor and Lily was pretty unimpressed that she was looking at the bones inside Dad's body. Just not an interest right now and that's totally fine.

Drawing...now there is a definite interest! This girl is asking to draw every single day and I simply love all the people she is drawing with arms and legs coming out of everyone's heads. Simon with incredibly long legs. It's just awesome! She wanted to trace the happy face on the back of her calendar. I suspect we will be tracing a lot more in our future, especially letters and words. She is showing a lot of interest in spelling and writing words.

She has also been really interested in color and color combinations. We have used cd cases and scarves on the light table to talk about primary and secondary colors.

I could not get this picture to rotate for me and it's driving me crazy, but I had to include it. These are some of Lily's "treasures." They end up on the light table a lot and all by herself she made this "street sign" that says "stop!" It's simply beautiful.

Working on number recognition and counting. She and Simon did this for a long time. Yes, I do have another child. Here he is in a picture.


Watercolor painting.

A "cake" Lily made with some blocks. The block on the very top is a candle.

Simon having fun. He actually worked hard on putting the blocks together, but he was naked in the picture (he was wearing a diaper), but it was more obvious in the other one.

I am very pleased with the way it turned out. This is temporary until we get a bigger container to use so we can refill the drawer with the proper contents. We also tossed around the idea of just using white Christmas lights, but we were too late in trying to get any. Just a few more months though and we can try that as well.

I love this blog http://playathomemom3.blogspot.com/ and will be referring to it for ideas, I am sure. Now I just need to learn how to take better pictures and we will be set!

No comments: