
It just feels weird to post without a picture so enjoy a random picture of Lily that has nothing to do with squash.
Even before Lily was born I knew I wanted to make her baby food and for some reason when the time came to give her some I thought it would be best to start with the jar food. After seeing her reaction to the jar food I decided to make my own butternut squash for her to eat. With advice from a friend, I simply cut it in half, not without trouble and breaking a cutting board, but that's a whole other story, put it in a 9X13 with a little bit of water, covered it with foil and let it cook for about an hour and a half. Then I scooped out the flesh, blended it with some water and voila baby food! Not only was it super easy, but Lily willingly and gladly opened her mouth to eat it! I was so excited. Plus, I definitely think this will be much more cost effective. A jar of baby food can run from $.69-$.89 and this whole squash cost $4.00 and I filled two ice cube trays, gave Lily a serving right as it was done and set aside a little bit for the next couple of days. So, I probably got about 30 servings from the squash. I am excited to learn more about making baby food and blending up vegetables and fruits I never thought I would be blending.

No comments:
Post a Comment